Cambria Automobiles plc comprises of a number of franchised groups. Below, you can find out more about the Cambria Group brands:
The Dove Group was established by LF Dove in 1925, initially in Wimbledon and then extended into Croydon in 1927.
With representation of mainly Jaguar and Austin Rover, the Dove Group later expanded across Kent and Hampshire. This included Andover, Fareham and Folkestone, representing the Ford franchise. The Austin Rover dealerships were sold in the 1990s.
The Dove Group remained as a family owned company until 1994 when it was purchased by Summit Motors Investment (UK) Ltd (SMIUK), a subsidiary of Sumitomo Corporation of Tokyo.
With the Ford establishment of central marketing areas, Doves were compelled to sell the Andover and Fareham Ford businesses, but were able to integrate the Folkestone dealership into the newly acquired Invicta brand in 1996. The Dove brand continued to be represented in Croydon as a Jaguar, Saab and Jeep business. The Saab and Jeep businesses were relinquished in 2003.
The Dove representation was extended to incorporate newly acquired businesses Hapsted Volvo of Gatwick, Croydon and Horsham from the Sytner Group in 2006, with the relocation of the Volvo Croydon site to the Doves Jaguar business to create a dual site.
Doves Croydon was run by SMIUK Ltd along with their other brands Invicta, Dees and Grange until Cambria Automobiles Holdings Ltd purchased the SMIUK group on 31 December 2007.
In 2008, the Doves Jaguar branding was changed to Grange Jaguar, while the Doves brand continued to represent Volvo.
In the early part of 2009, the Doves brand was further extended to incorporate Doves Volvo in Preston, Oldham and Blackburn.
The Grange brand was formed by Fred Chambers in 1958 with the first business in Brook Street, Brentwood, trading as a Service and Repair Workshop and a Petrol Station.
This business was built up over the years to represent a number of manufacturers including, Lotus, Volkswagen, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Jensen, Fiat and Saab.
The Grange business was later taken over by his two sons, Colin and Graham Chambers. They expanded Grange opening up a new business in Welwyn Garden City in 1985, which was a Jaguar and Aston Martin dealership.
They further expanded with a brand new flagship site in Exeter in 1989 as a Jaguar and Aston Martin Dealership.
On 23 May 2003, Summit Motors Investment (UK) Limited (SMIUK), a subsidiary of Sumitomo Corporation of Tokyo purchased all 3 businesses. This was run by SMIUK along with their other brands Invicta, Doves and Dees, until Cambria Automobiles Holdings Ltd purchased the SMIUK group on 31 December 2007.
In 2008 Doves Jaguar Croydon took on the Grange brand to become Grange Jaguar Croydon, along with Swindon Jaguar which became Grange Swindon.
In July 2014, Cambria added its first Land Rover dealership to its brand portfolio by purchasing Hadley Green Motors of Barnet, Hertfordshire. This also added Cambria's 6th Jaguar dealership.
On the 1st May 2015, Cambria completed the acquisition of the trade and assets of the Land Rover franchise in Royal Wootton Basset, Swindon from TH White Limited. Read more about Grange Land Rover Swindon here.
On the 8th January 2016, Cambria completed the acquisition of the Land Rover franchise in Welwyn Garden City from the Jardine Motors Group. In December 2018, Land Rover Welwyn and Jaguar Welwyn were relocated to our brand new state-of-the-art facility in Hatfield Business Park. Grange Land Rover Hatfield and Grange Jaguar Hatfield are open now. Read more about our Hatfield move here.
On the 5th July 2016, Cambria Automobiles plc, acquired the trade and assets of Stratstone Jaguar and Land Rover Woodford in South Woodford, North London from Pendragon Premier Limited, a subsidiary of Pendragon PLC.
In November 2017, Cambria Automobiles plc agreed on a partnership with luxury brand McLaren to open a dealership in Hatfield in January 2018. See Grange McLaren at Hatfield.
In December 2017, Cambria Automobiles plc agreed on a partnership with Bentley to open our Bentley Chelmsford dealership in Essex and Bentley Tunbridge Wells in Kent. The dealerships are open now. Find out more at Grange Bentley.
On the 7th January 2019, Cambria Automobiles plc opened a new Grange Specialist Cars Swindon dealership selling pre-owned, prestige and performance sports cars.
The Dees Group was established as a motor retailing and repair business in 1921, operating in the Croydon area with numerous sites. Dees Croydon began to operate as a Ford dealership in 1923.
In 1997, Dees Croydon was acquired by Summit Motors Investment (UK) Ltd (SMIUK), a subsidiary of Sumitomo Corporation of Tokyo.
In 1998, the assets of City Ford Wimbledon were purchased by SMIUK, where the Dees Brand was then extended to create Dees Wimbledon.
Dees Croydon and Dees Wimbledon were run by SMIUK along with their other brands Invicta, Doves and Grange until Cambria Automobiles Holdings Ltd purchased the SMIUK group on 31 December 2007.
Invicta Motors Ltd was founded in 1923 by the Thompson Family, with their first business in Canterbury as a Service and Repair Workshop and a Petrol Station.
In 1936, the building was damaged following an explosion in the Petrol Station caused by a rogue cigarette. Following this damage, the building was completely rebuilt and continued to trade in Canterbury and extended its business to include an Agricultural Dealership, Truck Dealership and Body Shop.
In the early 1980s, Invicta had representation in Ramsgate and Margate.
The Canterbury businesses were amalgamated into a new purpose built-building in the early 1990s, which was later sold to retailers, with the Invicta representation moving down the road to its current location in Sturry Road.
Invicta Motors Ltd was acquired in 1996 by Summit Motors Investment (UK) Ltd (SMIUK), a subsidiary of Sumitomo Corporation of Tokyo.
The Invicta brand was extended to incorporate the Ford Folkestone Dealership.
In 1999, a new site was established in Ashford to add to the Invicta portfolio, and Margate was relocated to its current location in Margate Road.
Invicta Motors Ltd was run by SMIUK along with their other brands Grange, Dees and Doves until Cambria Automobiles Holdings Ltd purchased the SMIUK group on 31 December 2007.
In November 2009, Cambria purchased Northampton Mazda from Autohaus Limited. This was the Company's first step into its partnership with Mazda and was an extension of the Invicta brand, becoming Northampton Motors.
On 25 February 2010, the Invicta representation extended again with the acquisition of the Drake and Fletcher businesses in Tunbridge Wells and Maidstone. This commenced the partnership with Honda and the continued expansion of Mazda.
The Motor Park brand originated from Swindon Motor Park when Cambria Automobiles Holding Ltd purchased its first site on 17th July 2006. The name was changed from Sudburys to Swindon Motor Park and this covered the multi-franchise dealership as a one stop destination.
In August 2007, Cambria purchased Bury Motors as a single franchise site from Caledonia. As the name was recognised and respected in the North West, it continued to trade as Bury Motors.
Cambria bought the remaining four Caledonia sites in January 2008, and due to the success at Swindon, it was decided to continue with the web strategy, and the Motor Park brand of multi franchise dealerships stretched to Blackburn Motor Park and Preston Motor Park, and in December 2009 Bolton Motor Park.
Originally single franchise sites, it was decided to rename Warrington and Oldham as Warrington Motors and Oldham Motors to follow on with Bury Motors.
The continual success of the Motor Park brand is an intricate part of the digital strategy.
Pure Triumph was originally started by the Pulford brothers, in 2005 with their first site on 28 January in Wellingborough.
Pure Triumph Wellingborough was one of the first Triumph World Stores. In 2007, Wellingborough received the award of runner up in Dealer of the Year.
The Pulford brothers went live with Pure Triumph Woburn in November 2008.
Also in 2008, Pure Triumph Wellingborough received the award for Dealer of the Year after only three years of trading.
Cambria bought the Triumph sites from the Pulford brothers on 31st October 2009. This was Cambria's first venture into motorbikes.
To find out more about any of the Cambria Group brands, contact us today.